Re: [microsound] High sampling rates/Bit depths

I see this issue first from a recording standpoint because I'm making recordings (!). Pros and cons of playback have a different set of efficiencies and values so to me there are 2 sets both ideal and practical values. Obviously most people now are being delivered 16 bit/44.1KHz and don't have facilities for higher rate playback so I'm not as pressingly concerned with issues of repurchasing my CD collection at higher rates, something I couldn't do now even if I wanted to. Of course I have some concern for future legacy issues but foremost I'm thinking about making a recording I can accept the sound of.

If I'm doing any dynamics processing or multitrack mixing in the digital domain I track at 24 bit/44.1KHz (or 48KHz if I'm working on DV).

It's not an issue to me that say an optimally tracked 16bit/44.1 recording can't sound that bad, it's a situation where I can work and track something decently, not risk overmodulation and not require the extra hassle and compromise of say initially tracking with a compressor/limiter to get ideal levels.

I definitely hear problems along the lines of a brittle graininess and issues with the noise floor being compounded when processing and mastering material tracked at 16 bit. To me 24 bit does the trick for extra headroom.

As for 96 or 192KHz - I'm hearing the results of hopefully better DA converters, better capture of high frequencies. It's something that makes a difference, but that difference is diminished when the delivery requirement and playback for others tends to be 44.1. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but I'd tend to agree with anyone saying it's not some kind of night and day difference.

Actually the thing I don't agree with are people, whom I suspect work mostly with devices (not necessarily varied and real world sound) that put out sound with more or less consistent level signals

nicholas d. kent http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/