Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

Praemedia wrote:

Music flourished quite happily prior to becoming
archived by either notation or recording.

I think this would depend on what idea of 'flourish'
you had in mind. It existed, thats true, but it didn't
advance very far until notation.

If by 'advance' you mean 'become what we know it became'; a fair portion of the species managed to get on with music in the intervening centuries independant of notation.

<snip>

That said, without notation and then recording I'm
fairly certain most if not all of the music I love
would not have existed nor could it have if building
that sort of residual history hadn't been part of the
concern of art (and/or music).

You're probably right, but that in itself doesn't demonstrate its necessity, just its contribution.

'History' is embedded in our culture anyway, so
music production will reflect it intrinsicly.

I can't agree there given the difference between different types of histories and trnasmissions of cultural phenomenons....

Hmm, I don't see that it wasn't taken into account; insofar as our current contains our history, and our music production reflects our current, ISTM to be inescapable.

BUT, to remove it from the 'history' debate for a
moment, here is a possible future....(yep, its
exagerrated doomsday stuff, but its just to make a
point)....

1. People buy

<snip>

7. i suppose there will always by a haxk on a guitar
on the street corner,

I think there's a range of activity that takes place between trading music and being a 'hack' that the above ignores. Also, it ties access to the net to musicians' making money off the net, which I don't think is a given, nor the availibility of music software (or software in general) to people's ability to make money from it.