Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

> I think there's a range of activity that takes place
> between trading
> music and being a 'hack' that the above ignores.

There is only so much one can tackle in a single
e-mail. But more precisely to your point there will be
no practical measure of the difference between the two
without the residue of history. IMHO.

> Also, it ties access to
> the net to musicians' making money off the net,
> which I don't think is a
> given,

True. But access to the net is not a right or a given
(people tend to forget that). this is true on both
platforms of 'the net' - which are distinctly
different - that is, 'access to' and 'space within'.
Both of those things do have to do with money. The
more money one has to make to maintain them, the less
practical it will be to keep them open for personal
expresssion to the world (when it is still much easier
to point your speakers out the window and annoy the
neighbors if you really want to share). Also, the more
time one has to spend maing theat money, the less
music we will all have time to make. We already work
longer and harder for our necessities (just the food
and shelter bit) than any of our prevoious ancestors
(at least here in the U.S. - which is numero uno now
at wasting our time at nothing but the day job).

> nor the availibility of music software (or
> software in general)
> to people's ability to make money from it.

This I will have to disagree with you on. Though there
wilol always be to some extent things like shareware,
one would not have anything near the technological
advances one has today (especially very recently in
the software industry) without greed and money hungry
companies playing a role. The home tinkerer (remember,
he/she has that nasty 40+++ an hour day job) could
never have amassed the time or supplies. It took
pooling of resources.

OK, so basically my meta-point would be.....

Saying that music production, distribution, cd
manufacturing, the idea of the 'label' is evil all
around is like saying your local mom-an-pop coffee
shop is evil because starbucks is evil. Or like saying
that your local mom-and-pop restaurant is evil and
wrong because McDonals is evil and wrong. I think its
important to think a little more dynamically about
scale.

lance