RE: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

Hi.

I am Jaume from Barcelona, i do not use to post on the list oftenly, but i read, and this topic catched my attention since some of the things discussed are part of my daily life.

The apocalíptic future that someone described on a post is probably the most irreal and hilarious thing of what has been writen.

I believe that for a "musician" to be poor it needs not only to have a depression on experimental music or music in general, but an economical failure in one's country, and i think that is not being discussed here. You can always get a job, even a shitty one, and you can always get pirate software (sorry for those against this), or think on a future where everybody will use PureData wich is free, in the worst of the situations you can hit things rythmically, but i feel silly thinking about such situation in music that one cannot get even a bad pc and need to hit things to make music (no offense to percussionists.

That's for the creation of music, but the same thing goes for distribution. Internet is a wonderful distribution/promotion tool and it's not as expensive in it's cheap forms (in Spain, and prolly most countries) as to not being able to pay it having a normal job (that you got because you weren't able to get money from music). But you can always return to old ways of distribution, power to imagination, i can think of many ways to do it, so do you prolly.

I believe this "musical apocalipse" topic is kinda silly, and it's prolly motivated by the change on the social perception of what is happening to music those days (as someone mentioned) due to the peer to peer software and the mp3 boom (and other factors that escape from my knowledge). But i am not sure if someone mentioned the great many netlabels (mp3 based) that one can find over the internet that provide "good" music. This has it's bad side of course, because there is so much music that you can get overdosed of "bad" music too. But in general i think this is a phenomena that shows the great ammount of latent creativity inside people around the globe.

When i entered the internet, not so many years ago (i am 24 years old) i automatically started to discover tons of news music, and i perceive that as good for me, plus i meet tons of people with different points of view about music, and with knowledge on music techiques, software and it's periferia, wich i also perceive as something good for me. I believe what happened to me also happened to many other people who, as me, can have it's music published on the internet and accessible to thousands of people around the globe wich i perceive as something great from many sides. And this is a recent situation so i believe it's inside what some call "depression of experimental music".

I want to know if the ones that support the idea of being in a depression do not accept the incredible ammount of new musics that are storaged on computers and other around the globe as a "permanent" sign of how productive are we being those times.

I, who started making and experimenting new musical forms due to what is happening on our world recently, this internet era, cannot think of a depression on the experimental music but an explosion of it. At least for it's *ammount, i believe i can't judge it's *quality properly.

Maybe the depression term was refering to ammount of money who goes to "experimental musicians" ?

Excuse my bad english, and thanks for reading.