Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

wow.. now there's a question...

eb'n flow...?

but, come to think of it...When has contemporary
music really even been apart of any lucrative
financial structure outside of film work?

I've been doing this "style" of music for almost
a decade & a half and all I've ever seen (or read
about fo that matter) is people stuggling like
crazy creating this stuff. Trying to balance day
jobs, gigs, love interests, etc.. Being an artist
(never been a big fan of that word.. but
whatever) is rough. Wish it wasn't rough.. but
that's just life.

I think contemporay music will always suffer from
a lack of a steady paycheck, unsung distribution,
and a general lack of support within this type of
enviroment (future-thinking art-music stuff).

Mainly `cuz we are all (in our own way) trail
carvers. And I think a lot of people who know
they are doing something "unique" tend to hold a
small ego about wanting to get somewhere first,
or doing something "better" , and so on... thus..
I think the thing we could all work on is support
for one another.

I personally do not think that CDrs or MP3s have
done anything but good things for contemporary
music. I just think pop business culture has to
just catch up to our lead. Simple as that. We are
so "ahead" that we feel very behind on the
financial and support end of things.. but that's
just the times we live in.. I think this will
eventually change.

AND..on a positive note, I will say that if
someone was to ask me whether or not basic
"ambient" music was ever to be discussed outside
of a film class, and actually aquiring the
shelves of 12 year old kids... well 10 years ago
I woulda laughed.. but that sorta thing is all
too common now.

Just give things another 4 years, our time is
comming around. You'll see the J.fredes, Kim
Cascones, Richard Chartiers, & (hopefully)Cordell
Kliers will have there day. ;)

Right now people are into fun music.. no one
wants to really get into "thinking" music/art fo
the most part cuz there is that bloody war going
on. People are in desperate need to rock out
lately - can't say i blame`em.

We all just gotta keep our heads up and keep
doing what we love to do. Thus, I'm just doin
what I always do - being humble, honest, poor,
and patient.

Cordell Klier
www.doctsect.com