Re: [microsound] the great depression of CDerrors

On Sep 24, 2004, at 6:50 AM, ian stewart wrote:

There's a significant difference in fidelity to the original master- a properly glass-mastered, pressed CD will have a far lower error rate than a home-burned CD-r.

It's been a while since I measured CD-R error rates, but when I did, exactly the opposite was true. The CD-R error rates I saw were typically in low single digits. Not that it matters in the slightest, since the errors are corrected

i think this was part of the discussion i had with the mastering engineer - the "error correction" certaily allows CDRs to play, but results in a blurring or thinning of the sound as perceived by the ear.

d.