Re: [microsound] Re: the great depression of experimental music?

Ben Neill <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Bach worked for the church, Haydn the king,
> and Verdi and Wagner had popular audiences in their own times.

Charles Ives was selling insurance, Glen Gould played stock market.

> I don't like the idea of art being something that
> is done strictly on the "hobby" or amateur level financially.

"Popular" art is not.  It is very "professional".

> Art is
> too important of a component in society to be relegated to that
> position.

This seems to be the opinion of the artists themselves, not the
society's at large.  Art seems to be less important than a mere 50
years ago.  Why?

here's a typical conversation you can have with a typical citizen:

- what do you do in life?

- I'm a musician.

- Cool, but what do you do for a living?

I have been part of such conversations many many times and,
unfortunately, I actually have a couple of answers to the last
question, and those have very little to do with music.

../MiS