Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music?

Praemedia <praemedia@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Do you really
> > prefer a CD than sitting in the concert hall (or
> > whatver venue of
> > preference) and listening to the music?
>
> I think its a different kettle of fish there, but I'll
> take the bait anyhow....

well, a sound quality tangent...

> Yep, I sure do enjoy it more than the concert hall.

I did add 'whatever venue'.  I am not necessarily fond of conert halls
but what I meant was live event.

> I do tend to think of the concert setting as
> pretty much 'historical residue' whereas the mass
> distribution of variously reproduced and transmittable
> music is very new and we've hardly explored it yet.

We hardly explored the 'concert setting', for the past few hundred
years we have seen only one aspect of it.  Still I think that mass
distribution takes away fro music the social factor, which I think is
still important.

> That said, from a purely sonic standpoint, live *can*
> sound better, but it isn't an *always* thing either.
> There are always a lot of variables involved that
> could ruin the entire thing.

That's the beauty of the whole experience.

../MiS