[microsound] Re: the great depression of experimental music?

> If you look at this problem historically, art has
always needed some
> form of patronage to support it, and the patronage
continually evolves
> with the art.  While all of the new means of
disseminating music that
> are being discussed here are great (internet, mp3s,
cdrs, etc.), I
> don't think there's anything wrong with artists
expecting to make some
> money for what they do.  Bach worked for the church,
Haydn the king,
> and Verdi and Wagner had popular audiences in their
own times.  In the
> twentieth century commercial recording emerged as a
new way of
> supporting music, as did public funding through
grants, etc.  Now it
> seems as if both of these means are falling by the
wayside, to be
> replaced with what?  I don't like the idea of art
being something that
> is done strictly on the "hobby" or amateur level
financially.  Art is
> too important of a component in society to be
relegated to that
> position.  The idea is that the artist has to beat
the game of
> economics somehow, like Duchamp suggested.
>
> Ben

i do not agree.

we will have to lick rich people asses
to be able to make money like in some way
dali, breton, duchamp, bach, velazquez
and many more did. and yes is very true that
history point in that way, be friend with the rich
and be friend with the king... so you can
sell/perform and make money, but who gives
a fk now for those people? they are the ones
that had set up the rules in that direction so
they can have the power,
so they can have you under control...

and if we continue that vicious circule
we are just promoting the same bulshit that has
set us in this bad position...

english is not my first lenguage
and no time to fix typos etc.

bla,