Re: [microsound] Dr. Max Matthews (was our first .microsound poll )

I guess for me the impact Cage had, aside from the whole silence thing... was his idea that uisng stock sound, much like stock photographry and using tape based recording and editing techology, one could create compsitons without instruments or musicians in a non-liner fashion, and he predicted this would be the wave of music in the future (I think I read this in his book silence). It seems in many ways he was right... considering mutlitrack software or other performance based softwares using banks of sounds, one can create stuff in a non-liner fashion regardless if its "On Tape" or by digital means.

Best,
Scott (beeping minidisc) Allison

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx