Re: [microsound] [gear] Sound card for Linux

Hi Phil,

quick note:

Are you booting with acpi in the kernel? my suggestion is to try pci=acpi or even acpi=off, since you are using a desktop anyway [right?] This may give you a better IRQ assignment, which I suspect might be the problem.

Otherwise, send me the output of "cat /proc/interrupts" and "lspci". These will tell you a lot about the IRQ assignments, and we can take it from there. You might also have to disable Plug and Play support in you kernel or BIOS, although I'm not entirely sure about that.

I'm using Gentoo for everything now, and I love it. But it took hell and high water to work out how to get my Hammerfall DSP card going, but that was for Linux in general. The real joy comes once you've gotten the problems out of the way and you can really play around in a super clean system without all the windoze or mac system garbage getting in your way! So hang in there! Also, try the Gentoo forums or Linux Audio User list for more help.

Planet CCRMA is nice for people who are just starting with Linux, it takes a lot of the headache away. But if you have/want to customize anything yourself, Fedora/RedHat is a RPITA. That's a *Royal* PITA, in case you wanna know. Gentoo is really best for people who like to tweak and optimize, or who have "special" hardware things which are hard to work out in other distros. I ofund it because of my HDSP, for example. But I don't recommend it for newbies.

d.

ps. I'll check out the track you sent me tomorrow!

Phil Thomson wrote:
Can any of the Linux heads on the list recommend a PC sound card that will work well with Linux? I put Gentoo on my PC recently, but I'm being prevented from doing anything useful with it because of IRQ conflicts with the sound card which I'm having trouble resolving (if anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any info). I'm using an ens1370 (Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370), but Gentoo doesn't seem to want to play with it. AGNULA's DeMuDi would freeze instantly when I tried to anything with sound. Xandros seemed to work fine with the sound card, but I got turned off from Debian's apt when it automagically wiped out KDE when I tried to install one tiny little graphics library.

I am so frustrated and tired of dealing with Linux hardware issues with every single distro I try, that I am willing to buy hardware that will just work in Linux without hours of tweaking and twiddling and frustration on my part. If anyone has advice for ideal Linux sound cards (and network cards too, as my Dlink DFE-530TX has caused some issues on occasion), I'd appreciate it. Reply offlist if you want.

Also, does anyone have experience with the CCRMA distro? Is it worth it? My ideal is to get Gentoo working for audio, and use that, as I love their package management system and some of their other features, but I could be talked into using CCRMA if there were definite audio advantages in that department.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." Popular Mechanics, 1949

SDF Public Access UNIX System
http://www.freeshell.org/
Geekier than you since 1987.

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl