Re: [microsound] Latest on jetgroove

According to a related Register article, you might just be lucky that Jetgroove [apparently a Russian site] seems to comply with requests to remove content.

from: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/05/russian_mp3_site/

...currently there is an exemption under existing Russian copyright legislation (Article 39 for the aficionados) allowing phonograms to be performed publicly without the authorisation of the copyright owner for broadcasting and cable transmission. The Internet could be deemed to fall under this exemption. A similar argument can be applied to copies in the cache memory of computers.

So as IFPI Russia's legal adviser, Vladimir Dragunov, concedes: "Because of these loopholes we don't have much chance of succeeding if we attack these companies who are using music files on the Internet under current Russian laws."

You gotta hand it to our Russian brothers and sisters for showing us so quickly what unbridled, unregulated, straight-up capitalism really looks like ;-)

d.

Phil Thomson wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/11/jetgroove_mp3/

--