Re: [microsound] audio software environments

On 12 Oct 2004, at 06:54, Kevin Ponto wrote:

Does audio software that requires high levels of user input produce musically more valuable results than those that require little?

As was mentioned before, I'm not sure that this is the right question...or maybe it's not specific enough. I think that the results of an application rests more upon the user of the software than the software itself. The level of user input required of a given application will only achieve more "musically valuable" results (perhaps "specifically intended" results is a better term) when married with intimate knowledge of the control required. The actual results between these two programs may be no different, but the amount of skill needed to produce the results differ, which lends to more credibility.

No i meant exactly the question but yes not specific enough. Do you not find that you tend to change your way of thinking about a piece after hearing the composers technical rundown on how it was created? I feel that we make allowances for music that is created with complex programming tools even when they sound bad. If it had been known that this same bad music was created with average audio software it would be inexcusable. My apologies for a dumb question, this just seems to be the way it is in this scene.

personally, i don't care much about the tools used to create something unless the result is good. if a piece is bad, but i can tell it took a lot of work, i might appreciate the amount of edits or something, but i still wouldn't want to listen to it again. what that may accomplish is giving me a certain amount of respect for the musician as someone who is at least trying even if they're not successful with their finished music yet. so i might give them a try next time to see if their results have started matching up with their hard work.

i think there is too much emphasis on the latest software (and before that, hardware). people will find a way to be creative if they are. if you lack the perfect tools to do what you want, you will come up with another way around it. so many tools are created to actually remove the creativity from the artist's hands. this piece of gear or that plugin is meant to do very specific and obvious things that companies hope musicians will think is hip and use all over their next hit record, and then everyone will want to buy what they make.

d.