Re: [microsound] audio software environments

On Oct 12, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Michael Wright wrote:
No i meant exactly the question but yes not specific enough. Do you not find that you tend to change your way of thinking about a piece after hearing the composers technical rundown on how it was created? I feel that we make allowances for music that is created with complex programming tools even when they sound bad. If it had been known that this same bad music was created with average audio software it would be inexcusable. My apologies for a dumb question, this just seems to be the way it is in this scene.

Perhaps you just don't like this kind of music, or rather, you don't like specific kinds of computer music? Who's music is it that you don't like that is getting a lot of hype? What do you mean by "sound bad."

Aura is a big deal in all kinds of music. Read a guitar magazine from the mid 80s and see them freak out over technically brilliant but soulless guitar-wank. All "scenes" add value to music based on extra-musical context.

Discovering the process behind a piece of music can give one a new perspective from which to appreciate it, but if the end result is boring or bad music, it's still bad music.

Anthony