Re: [microsound] audio software environments

On 12 Oct 2004, at 15:03, Anthony Saunders wrote:

> Also a Roads piece of granular synthesis from the 70s or 80s gets a
> different consideration than a Roads piece from today. Context is
> important.

I totally agree, but where are peoples excuses nowadays?  This is a
section of an interview with Brian Eno.

The great benefit [of tools like Cubase] is that they remove the issue
of skill, and replace it with
the issue of judgment. With Cubase or [an imaging program like]
Photoshop, anybody can actually do
anything, and you can make stuff that sounds very much like stuff you'd
hear on the radio, or looks
very much like anything you'd see in magazines. So the question becomes
not whether you can do it
or not, because any drudge can do it if they're prepared to sit in
front of the computer for a few
days; the question then is: of all the things you can now do, which do
you choose to do?

I can see the necessity of trying brand new methods of process to try
and exceed what exists and find new sounds in the same way Curtis Roads
does.  But a lot experimental electronic musicians still persist to
prove the worthiness of their music with a whole speech about the
process.  If the only thing we are dealing with is sound then the sound
should speak for itself.  A technical insight is like admitting the
sound doesn't work.  This is my original question and i'm asking this
from the point of view of a naive "newbie" who looks to the past and
present for inspiration.  Should we take the technical process into
consideration when "listening" to electronic music?  If the answers yes
then surely we are creating an art form that exists independent of
music and has equal interest in computers?  It seems the ones that are
benefiting from this whole thing are those with the perspective of the
eno quote.  Those who take the tools, do what they have to do and move
on.