Re: [microsound] [ot] [politics] Bush coached by WiFi in recentdebate?

At 12:19 PM -0400 10/13/04, Jonathan Hughes wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone these
days who refers to anything other than the Internet (capital I) as an/the
internet (lowercase i). I would think that LAN and WAN would be the terms
of choice.

I think you're right. The generic use of "internet" (lower case) is now mostly historic, though the capitalization of the global version remains preferred usages (as does Web, though this is fading).

2. Someone to come up with a better name than "intranet." I love how
everyone (myself included) is forced to pronounce it inTRAnet to make it
clear that they aren't talking about the inTERnet.

A sad comment on the state of pronunciation. Even professional speakers, such as radio and television news readers are guilty of sloppy and incorrect performance.