Re: [microsound] [ot] [politics] "that internet thing"

At 12:19 PM -0400 10/13/04, Jonathan Hughes wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone these
days who refers to anything other than the Internet (capital I) as an/the
internet (lowercase i). I would think that LAN and WAN would be the terms
of choice.

I think you're right. The generic use of "internet" (lower case) is now mostly historic, though the capitalization of the global version remains preferred usages (as does Web, though this is fading).

unfortunately not with proofreaders and copy editors. they also insist on referring to this mode of communication as "E-mail".

d.