[microsound] [OT] Re: us citizens...

"Captain Ahab," said Starbuck, who, with Stubb and Flask, had thus far
been eyeing his superior with increasing surprise, but at last seemed
struck with a thought which somewhat explained all the wonder.  "Captain
Ahab, I have heard of Moby Dick- but it was not Moby Dick that took off
thy leg?"

"Who told thee that?" cried Ahab; then pausing, "Aye Starbuck; aye, my
hearties all round; it was Moby Dick that dismasted me; Moby Dick that
brought me to this dead stump I stand on now.  Aye, aye," he shouted
with a terrific, loud, animal sob, like that of a heart-stricken moose;
"Aye, aye! it was that accursed white whale that razeed me; made a poor
pegging lubber of me for ever and a day!" Then tossing both arms, with
measureless imprecations he shouted out: "Aye, aye! and I'll chase him
round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and
round perdition's flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have
shipped for, men! to chase that white whale on both sides of land, and
over all sides of the earth, till he spouts black blood and rolls fin
out. What say ye brave men, will ye splice hands on it, now? I think ye
do look brave."

"Aye, aye!" shouted the harpooneers and seamen, running closer to the
excited old man: "A sharp eye for the White Whale; a sharp lance for
Moby Dick!"

"God bless ye," he seemd to half sob and half shout.  "God bless ye ,
men."

Herman Melville. _Moby Dick_, 1851