Re: [microsound] Re: futurists + fascistas

thanks for your comments henk. I think you have really defined fascism in a way far more incisive than my feeble attempts. You have offered a concrete example of fascism in action. bravo and touche!

On Friday, Nov 5, 2004, at 21:16 Australia/Sydney, henk b wrote:

"Microsound is an unmediated mailing list dedicated to informed comment and
discussion of experimental digital and post-digital music."

if i want to join a newsgroup or a forum about politics i would, but not
here on this one please

henk

Van: Ian Andrews <i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Beantwoord: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:03:48 +1100
Aan: microsound <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Onderwerp: Re: [microsound] Re: futurists + fascistas

tobias c. van Veenwrote:

hola list et al,

Actually, the futurists _were_ fascists; that's not contention but fact.
Marinetti was an avid supporter of Mussolini, in word and deed, and the
futurists embraced World War I.

absolutely!

However, I think it's fair to qualify Mussolini's fascism from Hitler's Nazi
party and its fascism. The level of street violence practiced by _any_
political party at the time is unbelievable, whether fascist, imperialist,
communist, anarchist, etc. There is a context to be carefully observed here
because it is twisted with our own.

I would be very careful in attempting to put a positive gloss on Mussolini's
Fascism. The politics of Mussolini's Fascist party privileged the rights of
the strong over the weak in a similar way to the Nazis. Hence they
victimised the sick and disabled, Gypsies, etc. They were just as inhuman in
this regard.

Also, thinking here of another post, futurism is not fascism nor is it
conservatism nor neoconservatism.

Some have called it Fascism (I'm thinking of Walter Benjamin's famous
remark) and I'm not sure that they are wrong. Futurism was guilty of
aestheticising politics (this was Benjamin's contention). This
aestheticisation of politics proceeded by the systematic application of
aesthetic judgements (judgements of taste) directly to political ideology.
Thus they glorified war as the supreme aesthetic/political experience. The
Nazis similarly aestheticised politics and this resulted in their being able
to presecute anyone not conforming to the aesthetic ideals of "racial
purity."
Jurgen Habermas arges that this type of fascism occurs when one of the three
autonomous spheres of modernity (aesthetics/art, religion/ethics,
logic/science) sets out to determine politics solely on its own terms. This
is currently most obvious in Islamic fundamentalism where politics is
determined prdominantly by religion. Christian fundamentalism posses an
equally dangerous outcome.

However, although the Futurists were Fascists, an although Futurism was
(arguably) a fascist ideology, this should not prevent us from examining
their ideas and gaining something from this process. Nor should we abandon
the works of Heidegger and De Man, who also fell under the spell of Fascism.

ian