[microsound] usefulness of compressors/mastering in experimental music

I've been reading about compression and mastering lately and everything is written from the perspective of pop, rock, or techno music. Can anyone point me at any documents that discuss mastering & compression with a less pop-centric perspective? Or failing that, recommend any really good discussions of this?

I've been recording enormous ambient/noise/granular tracks lately and am pretty happy with how they sound; I would however like to read more about mastering and the such to make my recorded output sound as good as possible. Good being subjective, of course, but I would rather read about how to "warm" a recording and then decide that I prefer it "cold" than to be stuck without a choice in the matter.

Anthony