Re: [microsound] usefulness of compressors/mastering in experimental music

you might want to e-mail twerk (shawn hatfield) about this - that's what
he's doing these days:

http://www.audibleoddities.com/

from his website:

Audibleoddities, a mastering house located in the heart of San Francisco,
owned and operated by Shawn Hatfield (twerk), recording artist for labels;
Force-Inc, Mille Plateaux, Context, Cytrax, Merck, Planet Rhythm,
Template, Tigerbeat6, Ritornell, and 240 volts.

High quality digital and analog mastering services are provided at low
costs bringing affordable mastering to the underground and independent
music community.

With over 7 years of experience mastering everything from dance music,
hip-hop, drum and bass, glitch, obscure experimental, jazz, indie rock,
spoken word, and folk, Audibleoddities has the ear for today's current
trends in mastering, balanced with an understanding of both modern and
past technique.

hope this helps - i know personally, i've been dealing some these
mastering issues in my own music.

g.