Re: [microsound] usefulness of compressors/mastering in experimental music

Kassen wrote:

A very
interesting exersise is building your own in some software language or
system so you can take controll of parameters normally not accessible or
included.

In "Derek's academy for computer musicians", this exercise would be mandatory ;-) Not only for compressors, but for all those different kinds of effects where people just download a VST and happily twiddle the knobs without knowing anything about what happens under the GUI.

A while back, someone was aksing if it made sense to make your own granulator [for example] in PD even where there were "ready made" granulators and other effects easily available. For me, there is so much more potential in knowing how something works because you've built it from the bottom up. Software, and the especially the visual metaphors of software [take a look at Reason, for example, or Flash], are so strongly deterministic in making art, and there is always some parameter, effect or trick which you will want but the person who made your program for you never thought of.

So this is my rationale for telling everyone to learn some kind of rudimentary programming, even if just through PD or MAX. In my mind, it's the difference between a software user and a computer artist.

</rant><and now back to our regularly schedualled thread on compressors>
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 182: