Re: [microsound] usefulness of compressors/mastering in experimentalmusic

Michal Seta writes;

> definitely think that an instrumentalist should know exactly how
> his/her instrument works.  In fact, those who are best at playing
> their instruments surely understand them very well.  Those composers
> who understand some instruments very well eventually write music that
> sounds very well on those instruments (i.e. Leo Brouwer for guitar,
> Penderecki for strings, Varese for brass and percussion, to name a few
> examples).

I mostly agree with you but does this reasoning not imply that jumps in
artistic expression should be preceived after scientiffic discoveries in
acoustics? I would expect that this, if true in a broad, cultural, sense for
example Pythagoras´s research into the physics of strings would have caused
a jump in ability of instrumentalists of that time.

Sadly I never heard what artists playing stringed instruments sounded like
in his day but I´m not sure performances then would have been far worse then
those of today. Surely today´s instruments must sound better but I´m not
sure that´s relevant to this.

Just some thoughts.

Kas.