Re: [microsound] usefulness of compressors/mastering in experimentalmusic

"Kassen" <kassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I mostly agree with you but does this reasoning not imply that jumps in
> artistic expression should be preceived after scientiffic discoveries in
> acoustics?

Perhaps not jumps but I would go as far as saying that yes,
discoveries in acoustics influence musical peformance.  However,
performers are only a vehicle.  The most work is done by performance
space designers/engineers and instrument builders.  The performers
then can take advantage of the development and improvement of the
instrument and the space.  But they do need to be aware of the
developments and improvements in order to take advantage of it.  And
of course, one should not forget the composers who take advantage of
new developments.  some even influence them.

> I would expect that this, if true in a broad, cultural, sense for
> example Pythagoras´s research into the physics of strings would have caused
> a jump in ability of instrumentalists of that time.

I don't know about the ability of instrumentalists but note that
following his discoveries music became part of the quadrivium.  So the
science has certainly had some influence on music.  And of course
Pythagoras' scientific discoveries influenced the developments in
musical thought.

../MiS