Re: [microsound] DVD audio?

> question: why are there no really cutting edge DVD audio pieces out
> there?

There are a few fascinating forays into DVD over the past few years, perhaps
starting with Farmer's Manual and their _RLA_ release on MEGO (although
certainly not the first, the most comprehensive collection) and heading into
~scape's recent DIN release of collected pieces, the _Visual Niches 1 + 2_
series of electronic music videos, the Rechenzentraum _Director's Cut_
release which included a DVD, the _Male/Female_ industrial project which
presents a psychogeographical post-industrial apocalyptic landscape to
wander the music through, the Skoltz_Kolgen work (which is incredible), work
by Pure/Dekam, and a few others. These are all DVD and primarily make use of
the format to include visual work, documentation, layout. The sound is
stellar but not 5.1.

Don't forget Hawtin's 5.1 version of Concept96. I'm not sure if this has
been released on DVD yet, somebody should push him to do so.

best,

    tobias

> i was just perusing www.thedigitalbits.com and i still can't believe the
> kinds of music that get remastered into 5.1 sound... i mean do we really
> need surround sound versions of the bob dylan or elvis? it seems like
> such a wasted opportunity for experimental electronic musicians to
> explore this medium.  i have the (björk) vespertine 5.1 and a live
> underworld, but i'd rather be listening to something that utilizes the
> format a little more creatively...  can anyone turn me on to exception
> mail or internet order DVD audio? i assume that's the only way to get
> it. the genre really doesn't matter, so long as it's pushing the
> envelope sonically. i'm still blown away by janet cardiff's stuff, and
> would love if those kind of spatial qualities could get out of the
> gallery, and beyond installation art, and enter the home.  god knows,
> there's enough people out there listening to home alone 3 in surround
> sound. why isn't there music, like ours, readily available? maybe i'm
> wrong, but i'd love to proven otherwise.
>
> g.

tobias c. van Veen -----------++++
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org --
http://www.thisistheonlyart.com --