Re: [microsound] Cash for Silence?

I agree with some of Paul's sentiments. Mego's releases a few
years back were fresh statements of what is possible with
the laptop, Line's series experimented with volume levels
and your listening habits, Raster-Norton I actually still buy
from, one problem though with a lot of these labels
is that they were distributed by EFA who would in turn service
U.S. distributors like Caroline and Forced Exposure.
Hence now that EFA has gone under labels like Mille P
and Raster-N no longer have the broad distribution
in the u.s. that allowed music shops to carry 1 to 2 copies
along with their usual caroline order. Hence it's now more
expensive for an indie-shop to carry stuff from them because
they have to get it from a smaller distro that might not distribute
as many labels that sell in high volume (I mean think about it,
when an indie shop gets the new Drag City release, they could
also get a few of the Mille Plateux CDs for almost nothing in the deal.)
Also, keep in mind Caroline has reps that go around and sell cds
direct to stores, giving stores in store promos and other things.
~Scape has noticed their u.s. sales go down a bit since
the EFA/ Caroline deal went under, I mean have you seen But Then
Again in a local music store recently? I haven't.

And then, yeah a lot of experimental micro-sound stuff
is just lacking in new ideas and tech-house is losing
ground in the freshness category too as labels like BPITCH
and such are starting to dominate the u.s. market for
new good electronic music.

Peace,