Re: [microsound] State of Music

that's very kind.  i'm trying to write my master's thesis, the whole hundred and what not pages, in a
similar but even more elaborate style... that's why it's taking me so damn long:) like kodwo eshun, i
really feel writing and syntax has to catch up with the kinds of futuristic and abstract topics that
form the content.  if the medium is truly the message, then we have to break out of standardized
academic writing. and if this means writing without capitals, writing one word sentences, writing some
of it computer code, in java script, then so be it. it might actually be a better and more accurate
way of describing things best not described in english, or any other spoken language for that matter.
what was that classic example of 'firstness' in semiotics? schubert (or insert any composer here)
plays something lovely on the piano, to which a listener asks 'what does it mean?' and in response
schubert simply plays the piece again. sometimes the best method for writing about music, is writing
music. and poetry can be a nice compromise, somewhere in between... i highly recommend 'more brilliant
than the sun.' kodwo does this really well...

g.

guido henneböhl wrote:

> great! thats not just a comment but pure poetry to me!
> it really matches my thoughts on post-digital
> aesthetics. how about this version  ...   :-))
>
> flank the topic from the sides.
> we ascribe to them.
>
> old timers
> with foot in second hand music store.

should be with 'one' foot in the second hand music store... sometimes i type faster than i think...