Re: [microsound] State of Music

dear G,

> if the medium is truly the message, then we have to break out of standardized
> academic writing. and if this means writing without capitals, writing one word
> sentences, writing some
> of it computer code, in java script, then so be it.

Which, ironically or quite seriously, repeats the same form as the
historical avant-garde: that different forms express different meanings, and
that breaking with form forges or expresses new meaning. This is the key
tenet of what some have pegged "modernism," which in its strict narrowness
rarely questions the underlying form of expression (although avant-garde
movements that prefigured "high modernism" _did_, such as DADA).

In any case, is the structure of your box-breaking a repetition or a
resampling? A rather individuated experience of breaking boundary, common to
all Master's students writing theses, perhaps? Which would render its
language games less precious and more general than we suppose?

> i highly recommend 'more brilliant than the sun.' kodwo does this really
well...

While remaining intelligible and writing with capitals, mind you, in an
aphoristic fashion sampled not only from record labels but Deleuze and
Nietzsche, Sun Ra and George Clinton, the whole of AfroFuturism, which he
rewrites in the process.

New form or new sample?
    What's the difference, chuck?

cheers,

    tobias

ps. Currently in the last rewrite myself.