Re: [microsound] state of beauty

fly-on-the-wall, myself, but this has been a fascinating discussion and I'd like to add a few musings of my own...

I can understand both sides of this debate, and I think they both have something to them -- in effect this is a reworking of the "style vs. structure" debate you inevitably get subjected to when you hang around music-creator-composer types - and I think just as there are many people on this list who gravitate toward more beat-driven "dj" music (as it were), as well as many (like myself) who find themselves in a more avant-garde vein and veer away from "danceability" (not discounting of course all who go between), people come from different places in their drive to create music.

So perhaps in the "big picture" it's about separating the biological from the cultural, i.e. what are people predisposed to "like" in sound (biologically), and what sounds are they likely to make (as music), and for what purpose (culturally)? and there isn't a clean line between the two.

and a case can be made about diatonality, or pentatonality, and perhaps a four-count as well, and fundamental, rudamentary harmonic relationships (!= western harmonic progression) such as the p-4th and pythagorean identities which occur in some form on various scales throughout all cultures as a result of biological fact about humans (whose ears evolved to listen to voice, not music) and also the physics of sound being as they are - that for all the babbling brooks and rainstorms and natural sources of noisemakers in nature, the basic instruments people pick up and make generally involve resonance of some kind, whether a string or a tube or a drum. and universality is very fascinating because it reminds us of what we all have in common etc. etc.

and yet for all of this universality it gets real messy when looked at from any perspective useful for creation of music. because people aren't blank slates. because on the scale of a "musical macro-event" (i.e. piece or song) you're not starting from scratch,

and for its digital connotations "re-mix" really isn't a post-digital concept - throughout history whenever cultures bumped into each other there were re-mixes: little snippets of Arab tunes that were heard and Europe-ized into minuets. folk songs heard and turned into symphonies, or adopted and modified to fit another culture altogether, or symphonic tunes that had words put to them and turned into pop songs. tunes got recycled and used in various forms for various occasions and arrangements (the l'homme arme' mass, for instance), it's just that with this proliferation of technology things move around faster and faster, and things get messier as they get re-cycled before they're even really digested/assimilated.

perhaps it is here where the ability to distinguish between styles becomes as irrelevant as knowing that single-period waveform I granulated was taken from britney spears and not from mozart or shakuhachi flute, because there is no intellectual copyright on style. Can you quantify your influences? How many fingers would it take to count them? Is that little 1-bar drum African, Malaysian, Peruvian? How can you tell (and what does cultural origin matter) once you've taken it out of context?

sorry to subject you all to such a poorly organized post, I'll try and keep it down next time 'round.

thx
david