[microsound] Re: early cd skipping

hi there

sorry to come into this discussion so late but i thought i might add a few cents

as far as dates go the CD system was introduced in Japan and Europe in October 1982 and subsequently to the USA in March 1983. so any dates before this are premature.

yasunao tone's 'wounded cds' where first developed in 1984, he borrowed a cd-player and bought a copy of Debussy's Preludes. the release on zorn's label is a much more recent work in which he made the cd himself (ie they are his own compositions), so it is a little different in terms of sound material.

nicolas collins never skipped cds, instead he removed the mute function from the actual cd player, causing it to play data etc as audio and also to play the glitches on the cd as audio instead of the usual covering and interpolation that error correction handles. this is part of his electronics thing i guess you might say.

anyway someone already mentioned my leonardo music journal paper and there is also one just on yasunao tone, including stuff on fluxus etc, in leonardo electronic almanac. i can't for the life of me see where it is online but if anyone is interested i can drop me a line and i can e-mail it directly to you.

caleb~