Re: [microsound] Re: privilege, boundaries and class

hi Peter,

- First, you might want to parse what is presented as "my" writing -- I have
presented a number of possible theses and reduxes -- these are possible
avenues of thought, and this has been made explicit;

- I never once mentioned electronic dance music; nor did I ever say I
"prefer music.. this way;" nor would I characterize what I am trying to do
as "naturalizing;" (an upcoming publication of a talk I have at SLS Paris
last summer actually discusses city grids to binary and digital logic, among
other things);

- I think mentioning rhythm as the rhythm of making love to the sun to that
of culture is a fairly broad definition of rhythm and hardly "musicological"
nor "reductive;" I never once mentioned a time signature nor any metric;

- I think what you mistake in my writing for "ethical critique" (though I
would never wish to restrain your critique) would perhaps better be
described as "posing a question of affect" -- if only for the sake of
accuracy;

- You might want to re-read and notice the performative switch from
understanding to FEEL -- to qualify this -- a switch from the critique of
judgement to that of affect (I use "feel" as most people will get this
term.. however on the critical level I would wish to make a distinction
between affect and emotion, between, say, the theories of Lawrence Grossberg
over affect and Brian Massumi -- however it doesn't matter if nobody knows
these references, what I am getting at is a sense of affect -- rhythm as
affect -- which has nothing to do with metrics, mathematics, quantification,
calculation, nor the sensory faculties of emotion):

"However, when [Adorno] attempts to turn aesthetics to ethical critique, he
is not so much generalizing as condemning an essential aspect of existence:
the rhythm of repetition that, one comes to realise, touches our world ..
the sun up, the sun down .. we dance, we drink, we sleep, we make love ..
Adorno's lack of understanding of rhythm-- no, scratch that -- that he can't
FEEL rhythm worries the shit out of me .. how did Adorno make love without
rhythm? How did he dance in bed? How did he see the sun everyday?"

In this paragraph:

rhythm of repetition
touches
FEEL

also a "scratch:" a thought posed and removed, reframed from "understanding"
(Kant) to "FEEL" (affect, we might think Deleuze / Massumi here if anyone
wishes to follow the trail of references I usually leave out when writing
emails in a casual manner .. )

... no mention here of dance music, metrics, counting time, a certain BPM,
preferring anything, etc.

Instead I want to pose the questions:

".. how did Adorno make love without rhythm? How did he dance in bed? How
did he see the sun everyday?"

Which reminds me, just now, of the question Derrida poses in the DERRIDA
documentary -- he wanted to know what the major philosophers were like in
bed.. Heidegger.. Kant..

So how about Adorno? Did he ever lighten up?
Did he ever get a hard-on for Emma Goldman?

cheers,

    tV