Re: [microsound] [ot] minidisc recorders

Just to clarify Scott's comments:

> I got one a year ago or more for under $200. You'll still have to
> transfer to a computer the old fashioned analog way, but there are
> really no other options. Last I heard, it was still impossible to
> download recorded tracks from minidisc digitally... thank you Sony &

With a component deck like my 1998-model Sony JB920 you can do realtime
digital transfers over SPDIF. No analog stage in this, but you do get the
decoded 16/44 stream, not the original ATRAC. I've been doing this since
98. Only downside it's realtime, you must have SPDIF/optical ins on your
soundcard, and you must "record" the incoming file with audio software.

There ARE custom solutions that rip the ATRAC to your PC for software
decompression, I have such a system but it's rickety and obsolete. HiMD
would be better in every regard.

The new HiMD *does* allow (as I wrote in a previous mail) uploading of
recordings via USB, which can end up as non-DRM .WAV files on your PC,
with no analog stage.  Since it's USB 1 though apparently the speed
advantage over realtime when transferring uncompressed 16/44 recordings
(which HiMD allows) is minimal... :/

 best,
   aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx