Re: [microsound] microsound vs. DJ culture

hi

( 05.01.15 23:48 +0200 ) Christos Carras:
> it seems to me that the re-use of tracks is dangerously close to
> manifesting a cultural problem, viz the inability of the contemporary
> subject (consumer and artist) to break through the mirror and
> establish an individual and / or open relation to the world of sound.

but that is how they establish an individual and open releationship to
the world of sound- by re-using the material. instead of thinking of the
available world as 'sounds you can make with a piano' or 'sounds you can
make with a couple of guitars, drums, and a ton of amplification'; this
is 'sounds you can make with electronic audio processing'.

musicians always try to copy what they like. how many bands try to sound
like kraftwerk once in a while? re-using [re-contextualizing] sounds
made by others is just a more direct way of acknowledging the influence.

so while there are plenty of problems in the world today- i see re-mix
culture as a positive thing, an example of how the creative impulse
refuses to die.

--
\js    >/*http://or8.net/~johns :      ]%-/.$<`]       [='.^
iraq body count: 15,365 [min] 17,582 [max]