Re: [microsound] [ot] the 56k challenge

Gavin Stevenswrote:

> I quite like this idea - it would give some extremely lo-fi sound, which
> has always appealed to me.

Yes I have always liked using heavy file compression as an effect. The
problem is that if every track uses the same compression scheme (eg. mp3)
then they will all end up all sounding much the same. Perhaps using many
different types of compression would be the way to go, each track using a
different compression scheme. This would give the sound of the whole disk a
lot more variety in its production. This is how I work with my flash
produced audio tracks but with different compression levels and types with
each track. eg.  http://radioscopia.org/radiohack/
(smallest track is 6kB, largest is 26kB).

ian