[microsound] SAN announces Barry Anderson Bursary

BARRY ANDERSON BURSARY
Grass roots funds for artists working in the UK.

A small award of £150 is available each month for Sonic Arts Network members
presenting work in their local regions (Not a member? Visit
www.sonicartsnetwork.org for details). These funds are intended to help with
the costs of staging an event. The money can be used to pay for the hire of
a venue, some equipment, the production of promotional materials like flyers
or with some advertising, travel expenses, the fees of a guest artist or
other costs associated with producing a small-scale event.

In line with our commitment to offer members the chance to help shape Sonic
Arts Network, this will be an opportunity for you to decide who will receive
the bursary. Members will select the monthly project that will be awarded
funding through a process of online voting. Only one application will be
successful each month and the event must take place within 3 months of
submitting your proposal.

The Bursary is in memory of Barry Anderson, a founder Chair of EMAS (the
former name of Sonic Arts Network) in 1979. Anderson was an accomplished
composer and also music director of the West Square Electronic Music
Ensemble based at the West Square Studios at Morley College. The open access
evening classes he ran there, which mixed established professionals with
enthusiastic starters, were glued together with Barry's infectious
enthusiasm, endless energy and a real commitment to public performance.

³I met Barry after a West Square concert at St. John's Smith Square, I guess
in about 1976. We shared a passion for live electronics and  performance and
I remember the concert included Barry's own work 'Mask' which combined
performers, tapes & electronics performed from  behind a huge Maori-inspired
mask from his native New Zealand. We had ten years of great work ahead as
close friends, as well as colleagues  on the EMAS committee, sharing the
IRCAM composers course in 1981 which led to his extensive work there in the
early and mid 1980s. His death in 1987 deprived us of a great musician and
music director.

His friendship and support for young composers and performers need not live
on only in dusty programme notes but can continue through these bursaries in
his name.²

Simon Emmerson

visit www.sonicartsnetwork.org for more information