Re: [microsound] PIXEL TRACKING

negrozine@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hello all..
im usually just absorbing all the different discussions but tonight i have a question i hope you guys can help me with.
is anyone familar with pixel tracking as a controller for manipulating audio or creating ramdom algorythms?...a friend told me i should look into EYESWEB (a max/msp - like program that is free for the pc....)
but before i start looking into programs i wanted to get some background information...does anyone use pixel tracking for audio manipulation or video work? any writings or people i should look into?
any help would be appreciated...thanks

I uses tracking in pieces for dance theater and art installations.
Can you give more details so we can help more precisly? On aspect is the budget but lets assume its low and the more expensive IR tracking systems are out of reach.
You can get decent results with USB Webcams but they might have 2 issues you should consider:
- latency, USB2.0 helps a bit but Firewire is superior. Its not that big and dont want to scare you but it depends on your application.
- noise, especially in a lowlit environment. Webcams with ccd are better than cmos chip, which I tend to call better photocells.

Software:
basic tracking can be done in Max/MSP Jitter or for free in PD and GEM. It has the advantage all is in one softwarepackage, analysis and (sound) synthesis.
Eyesweb is free too and has also basic synthesis modules but this is not its main feature. It has superior modules for analysing motion data and give you loads of information, not only a x/y position, also the amount and speed for instance. It can speak midi and osc, the latter I use to combine it with computers for processing the data.

Here a more simple example complete done with Max/MSP Jitter and a webcam:

http://www.elektronengehirn.de/cellLab.htm

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

Next events:
11. february Elektronengehirn Concert at Dorkbot Ghent, Belgium
more at blog 4, also available as rss feed:
http://java.block4.com/blog4/