Re: [microsound] Network Feedback

Use (shout/ice)cast or some similar software to stream audio out, and then pick it up at different points in the network to get different latencies. Back in the crazy old net.radio days, we used to do these streaming experiments between Riga, London, Vienna, Prague and other places. It was sort of a round-robin, where people would start a stream and hook in at different nodes. The different nodes would decode the stream and add or subtract sounds, then send it along to the next one. With a big enough loop, the sounds would return to their origin up to 15 minutes [!!!!] later, having been modified extensively along the way. An open loop with no modifications would eventually produce a looooonnng wailing sound.

d.

john saylor wrote:
hi

( 05.02.03 06:43 -0800 ) Phil Thomson:

Along the general lines of network feedback, I wonder if anyone has
explored the potential of audio feedback loops over a network.

haven't heard of it. it's so easy to do other ways [dsp, tape loops]
that perhaps the overhead involved is not worth the effort.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 36: