[microsound] traffic analysis

I've had a passing interest in this over the years, having done some
different experiments with databending. A few interesting network audio
related items that I'm aware of:

Andrea Polli did a gate page for The Whitney's Artport
(http://www.whitney.org/artport/gatepages/may04.shtml), which is a live
sonification of weather data (a specific sort of network traffic).
Andrea has used Max/MSP in a number of projects, and co-developed a new
Max object for use in the project. Datareader can be found here:
http://www.andreapolli.com/datareader/ This will probably be useful to
those of you capturing data from tcpdump and/or other packet sniffers.

The open-source carnivore client on Rhizome has been used for a number
of different projects, capturing packets to produce all sort of audio
and visual interpretations. They have clients for both Windows and OS X,
and sample code for Flash, Java, Director, Perl and Visual Basic. My
personal favorite is the Carnivore Client Home Module by Cory Arcangel
(http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/carnivore/). For the Jackal Project at
version.02 festival (at the MCA Chicago), we did our own "collage" work
using packet data from the web surfers at the festival. We then did a
public reading of some of the emails captured. Fun stuff.
http://www.rhizome.org/carnivore/

Another interesting one, N.A.G. (Network Auralization for Gnutella):
http://www.jasonfreeman.net/Catalog/electronic/nag.html

Christopher Sorg
Multimedia Artist and Instructor
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Columbia College Chicago
http://www.csorg.org