Re: [microsound] music from network traffic?

has anyone come across a similar project, or could recommend methods for
turning sniffed network streams into 'found' music?

Okay. I don't know much about network blah blah blah, but I did at one time
come across an interesting piece of software that I thought might be useful
to someone with the technical skills to make it work. I came across it while
searching for something useful to do with a Mac Classic I had gotten for
free from a yard sale. I was looking online, and found that some fellow
somewhere had managed to make his into a dedicated computer for running a
software program that controlled his model train set. Basically, it was a
hardware and software setup, with the software operating some sort of
voltage-controlled device that would tell trains when to turn, stop, go,
track change, etc. In other words, something very much like portions of the
innards of an analog synth. Of course, there was some sort of input to the
device, so the "conductor" could make changes, fly them through the
computer, then have them come down the track.

With a little fiddling, I bet the input could be your data stream
information, running into this software, and out to this voltage control
device. Since it has many, many "outs" as I understood it (I think it is for
those with LOTS of trains) you could really have quite a bit of good sound
if you truly intended to use it as a "sonic diagnostic" tool.

If you end up doing this, I want to hear it, okay? Or really, anything you
end up doing with this.

DaveX