Re: [microsound] music from network traffic?

you might be interested in reading this article:
http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/lmj/horton.html

here's an excerpt..
"Horton was a computer music pioneer who was active in the San
Francisco Bay Area. His early work with microcomputers, beginning in
1976, was startlingly original. He incorporated ideas from artificial
intelligence and radical music theory into his compositions and
performances right from the very start. He was the first composer to
postulate the idea of using computer networks to make music and
created the first network music performance, with artist Rich Gold, in
1977. With John Bischoff and Rich Gold, he co-founded the world's
first computer network band, the League of Automatic Music Composers,
in 1978. He was also one of the first composers to use a computer to
experiment with just intonation. Jim used the computer as an active
partner in the musical process rather than an inert tool."

maybe you could make a max patch and map the different source/dest ip
addresses to different things eg volume/pitch/midi notes etc. I think
there's some network traffic monitors that have audio monitoring so
you can hear if the traffic gets heavy or light but I can't think of
the names off the top of my head.

cheers
Kath

--