Re: [microsound] Laptop, etc as Performance device

i agree on this point. if you look at a laptop as a performance
object, excluding the consideration of software, as an essential part
of the laptop, as the performance object in the first place, you may
expand the base object by adding additional controllers such as
keyboards, knob boxes, and touch sensitive devices.

i currently run a setup from a linux laptop with 3 different midi
controllers performing improvised sound with custom synthesizers in
csound.

it is quite a feat to control these in realtime, as some of the sound
generators are constant and not played like traditional instruments
and synthesizers.

it is quite different than touching keys and the mouse pad, however;
all the additions present are simply input extentions of the laptop
itself.

although performing with the additions adds more to the visual
presentation of the performance, it does not devalue the laptop as a
audio performance object.

if you removed the keyboard from the laptop and rewired it, mounting
the keys A-Z as buttons, spacing them a meter apart from each other,
then triggering sounds or modifiying parameters from these keys, it
would be more visual in that you would see a person running around on
the stage pressing buttons in different locations, however; due to the
physical spacing of the keys and the limitation of human speed, it
would greatly reduce the theoretical level of maximum complexity
inherient in the device, thus, in a sense, devaluing the maximum
potential of the audio performance.

to say this is more of a audio performance due to the physical
movement of the operator seems silly.

a laptop can only not be considered a performance object if the level
of understanding in observers of the performance holds more weight
than the performance itself.

i look at a performance as a manifestation of an operator in a system
to produce a desired effect. a performance exists as long as the
operator has control which is quite independent of an observers
realization of the operators control.

nathand

http://patternmedia.com/