Re: [microsound] Laptop, etc as Performance device

I think you are indirectly touching on an interesting
point, which is that one of the true beauties of the
powerbook as a performance tool is all the goodies you
can plug into it.  I think for me the gestural
performance is only important because I am
specifically interested in creating a relational space
between sound and the body.   I am thinking of tools
as prosthesis, a way to augment the human function.

 In regards to modifying joysticks, I do it a lot
(mostly because I can't afford expensive usb/midi
sensorboxes), and it's very easy once you get to know
the circuit a little bit.  I don't want to get all OT
teched out here, so if anyone's interested in cracking
joysticks, contact me offlist...

I think also the discussion regarding the context of
laptop performance is an important one.  There are not
too many proper spaces that are conducive to engaged
listening for such performances without going the art
gallery/concert hall route.  What makes for an ideal
listening environment?  Perhaps it has yet to be
constructed...

Andrew

--- REZNIC9@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I use my laptop to perform noise, there was
> something  that always  troubled
> me,  why would someone want to come out and see a
> computer nerd  standing
> behind a laptop producing beeps and buzzes of
> unknown patterns.   Should there
> truly be a performance to make it art.  should
> dancing bears  or trick dogs
> jumping through hoops of flame company my
> performance.........no.   Noise
> performance is about the energy  produced from the
> sound, it's what is felt not what
> is there for eye  candy.  pounding keys may not be
> the greatest act to see,
> but what's  felt is to be known.  I don't restrict
> myself to just a laptop, I
> have a  trunk full of bent circuit goodies to play
> with as well. I have
> keyboards with  no keys but touch sensitive sensors
> for randomness instead.  A
> performance  is about what is felt not what is seen.
>

> Geary

Andrew Benson
www.cloud-machine.com