Re: [microsound] Laptop, etc as Performance device

I feel it is unnecessary to argue whether or not
something is a performance.  It's about the same as
arguing whether or not something is music, or worse,
Art.  My argument was specifically about the awareness
of how one's tool affects one's output.  I am
interested in what it means to the working artist to
restrict oneself to the use of keyboards for
controlling sound.  Indeed a great deal of creating is
the choice of limitations, but I wonder how many make
that choice in a critical manner.

Andrew

--- stephen hastings-king <brainstone@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> a performance is defined more as a situation than by
> any particular
> actions.  or as an occasion, to cop a term from
> kierkegaard. so posting
> this mail to microsound may be more a
> performance/performance-oriented
> act than writing the same sentencees, in the same
> sequence, in my
> notebook.
>
> for kierkegaard, the occasion is at once determinate
> and incidental.
>

>     >why wouldn't it?

> than
> >>
> >> okay... why was it a performance? does turning on
> a car radio
> >> constitute
> >> a performance?

> >For additional commands, e-mail: