Re: [microsound] technological lowercase microsound question

You will get a very low dynamic range out of that record, people would

hear a lot of noise if the volume is turned up. This noise should mask

any other problem.

Yes if the source is analog in origin. Of course if you work directly in digital data you may be able to avoid substantial noise issues by working closer to the full digital range as the original post proposes.

The overall concept is valid for an original analog source recording too. Let a quiet recording use the full range of the tape, avoid unintended distortions and you increase the signal to noise ratio.

These things said, one has to consider that for whatever reason some artists want the relative degradation in sound induced by using a lower bit depth and quite possibly a low signal to noise ratio.

Though it's well worth mentioning though because I suspect many artists are oblivious and simply accept whatever degradation their working process gives them.

You should never normalize to 0dB FS as this will cause overload in the

majority of converters on playback. Use a special mastering meter of
keep peaks below -6dB FS.

Sound point though where did you get the seemingly overcautious -6dB figure? I've heard a figure of -0.2dB.

I agree with you, the "PLAY QUIETLY" idea seem much better.

Most definitely unless you want the artifacts.

nick http://www.technopop.info/ndkent/