Re: [microsound] DeMuDi (Linux distro)

Hi Igor,

Igor Medeiros wrote:
which other audio distros are low latency kernel? for pc?

You basically have three "audio" distros for PC architecture:

1) Demudi: Debian Multimedia Distribution
2) Planet CCRMA: Redhat/Fedora-based distro
3) AudioSlack: Slackware audio packages

However, you can also do the following:

4) Try to add Demudi low-latency kernel to existing Debian or Ubuntu installation
5) Use a Gentoo kernel with low-latency enabled (see Gentoo installation docs for a very friendly step-by-step guide to kernel compiling)
6) Recompile recent 2.4 or 2.6 kernel from just about any Linux distro for low-latency

There are also other patches for preemptive schedualling and user-mode realtime priority which really get your machine kicking ass. I use Gentoo with a 2.6.10-rc3-love kernel which includes low-latency, preemptive and realtime patches on my Athlon64 laptop, and it rocks the house. I have yet to hit the edge of my CPU for audio.

best,
derek

-- derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ---Oblique Strategy # 140: "Reverse"