Re: [microsound] interesting legal/licensing developments at scene.org [nexsound.org mp3 host]

hi

( 05.03.03 18:48 +0100 ) derek holzer:
> So, my basic question which follows this analysis would be: is it
> "right" for an artist to remove something they have placed in the public
> domain, considering that the resources used to keep it in the public
> domain once represented a valuable publicity asset to that artist?

i think you're playing fast and loose with 'public domain'. ianal, but
it is a specific kind of copyright aggreement. i think if a work is
released in the public domain, there is no turning back. i released some
works of mine into the public domain, and had to do a confirmation step
with creativecommons.org, as opposed to other licenses where i could
just choose the license and mark the content. so, my understanding is
that 'public domain' means that it belongs to everyone [and no one].

however, works can be released for free download under other kinds of
licenses [attibution-share-alike, and so on] that allow the artist to
keep some variety of legal ownership of the work.

on a karmic level it's pretty sleazy- kinda like taking back a gift you
gave to someone so you can charge them for it [actually, so other people
will pay for it instead of getting it for free].

revenue uber alles!

--
\js           &;<   *-{@=       .[;   http://or8.net/~johns
iraq body count: 16,123 [min] 18,395 [max]