RE: [microsound] got al jabr?

Kim Cascone wrote:
--> this reminds me of a cartoon from old issue of the New Yorker magazine:
a line drawing of a very poorly built house is shown with different lengths of wood beams, no correct angles, nothing fitting properly, a complete shambles and the caption to the cartoon reads: "a world without algebra" <--

Sure, but in a world without algebra, poetry would probably still be pretty much the same thing. Analogies between music and architecture (or poetry, or language, or cooking) are often made, but if they illuminate some aspects of music, they ignore or obscure others. Personally I find the greatest relevance in analogies with other artforms which control time, such as experimental film; Brakhage's films come closer to what I understand music to be than any other 'non-musical' expression.

best,
Ian