Re: [microsound] sonymash

Kim Cascone wrote on 4/11/05:

>this is a very interesting point and one worth discussing on the
>list...I remember reading an essay somewhere recently about this very
>conundrum, i.e. a publishing company manufacturing the software tools
>for its own 'subversion' (I use that term loosely)...but then
>capitalism does just this: 'produces the means to its own demise'

Having had some experience with working across divisions of the Walt
Disney Corp., I can say that large media conglomerations are often in
competition with themselves.

Also, within the recording industry, "acts" or groups are often in
competition, having signed on only to find that their doppelganger
labelmates are receiving critical promotional support while their CD
languishes in the bins at Virgin.

I'd call it a form of insurance for large and (hence?) conservative
corporations.

After all, Starbucks is out for total gallons of coffee sold, not
competive performance between two locations less than half a city block
away.

<vze26m98@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>