Re: [microsound] building blocks

This article from Computer Music Journal discuss these features of a computer music system. It is written by one of the creators of the Kyma system so it may be considered marketing but sttil it made me much more aware of these matters.

http://www.symbolicsound.com/zzz/pub/Learn/EssaysOnSoundAndAudio/
Scalettiv26n4p69-82.pdf

"... all of the software examples included in this symposium (along
with some others that are not represented here) belong to a special
category of computer music software called computer music languages.
Most software packages can be classiÂfied as utilities; they perform a
well defined, familiar function that is needed by a large number of
people. A software package that emulates all the functions of the
traditional multi-track recording studio would be one example of a
utility.

But the pieces of software that Eric Lyon has chosen to include in this
symposium are different; they are examples of computer music languages.
A language provides one with a Âfinite set of ââwordsââ and a
ââgrammarââ for combining these words into phrases, sentences, and
paragraphs to express an in nite variety of ideas. A language does not
do anything on its own; one uses a language to express oneâs own
thoughts and ideas. This is what makes these particular software
packages so open, extensible, and useable in ways unanticipated by
their authors. And that is why, although they may never command the
same market share as utilities, they have had a longer-lasting and
deeper inÂfluence on the evolution of music."