Re: [microsound] live evil palindromic echo

marketing. marketing. marketing.
ableton are the mcdaddies of marketing.
giving free copies to big-name djs - hawtin etc, its a combo of good placement and good timing - they hit the market hard and at a good time.
(in the same way the pioneer/technics) give large name djs free CDJ 1000's and the DVJ's in order to popularise new products ( i know for a fact that Senor R. Sanchez has been given a DVJ to tour with by Pioneer in a cynical attempt to promote the toy, not because he is a talented VJ, but becuase he is a big name DJ, its a no-brainer) .
it's an old, but effective trick.

In the same way that the qwerty keyboard won the typewriter war, - small piece if myth v fact here:
the qwerty keyboard is no better than an a-z keyboard, it was just a better marketing gimmick for Royal typewriters, they could mass train salesmen without their needing to actually be able to spell, or type, qwerty was designed to for salesmen to be able to demonstrate how quickly they could type, without looking, as in office managers of the early 20thC could be wowed by how quick u can type with a Royal....
- or another example - the internal combustion engine killed the steam engine (thanks to Ford Motor co for mass production, not because it was any better a product, simply bcoz it was sold better, and manufactured more efficiently)- that's why live is so popular. i doubt it's any "better" in terms of coding or usability, it's just sold a whole lot better.
All said and done, I admit i use ableton now and again, but these days, I spend most of my time messing with Apache config files and rewrite rulez...

diggah.

Kim Cascone wrote:

Well, I think this easily answered by the fact that Live was geared
towards performance, while Acid was not.

in what way was Live geared towards performance and how was ACID not? please describe?

Ableton was also blessed with
incredible timing when they released Live, and it was a pretty good
answer to the growing question of what the emerging laptop masses were
going to do on stage.

ah OK I think the keyword here is 'laptop'...but still doesn't answer my questions as to why ACID was not adopted by the laptop music market and Live was...